People are using bananas to make some weird stuff, let me tell ya. But, in the interest of spreading the knowledge, from the not-so-odd to the head scratchers, here goes:
10. Aphid deflector: Burying dried or cut-up bananas peels a few inches deep around the base of your rosebushes to detract aphids.
9. Fertilizer: Potassium rich, bananas are great for us as well as our gardens. Dry out leftover peels over the winter months. In the spring grind them up with a food processor or blender and use them as mulch when transplanting new plants or seedlings to give them a boost. Don’t feel like drying out and processing the peels? No worries; just bury them in your compost pile.
8. Butterfly and bird charmer: Most people I know either throw away overripe bananas or make banana bread out of them. An alternative to these might be to place the blackened ‘nanners on a raised platform out in your yard. It’ll attract birds and butterflies–as well as bees and wasps, thus the raised platform.
7. Face mask: Mash up a medium-sized banana, OR combine 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 medium-sized banana, OR combine 1 egg yolk, 2 tsp. almond oil and 1 medium-sized banana. Apply one of these mixtures to your face and neck and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off with cool water and pat dry.
6. Leather polish: Use the inside of a de-stringed banana peel for a quick shoe shine. Finish up with a buff using a soft cloth or paper towel. The same technique is said to work for silver too.
5. Roast Tenderizer: Toss a peeled ‘nanner into the pan the next time you think your roast might turn out a little tough.
4. Houseplant cleaner: Wipe your houseplant leaves down with the inside of a banana peel to remove dirt and leave a shine.
3. Ointment: Rubbing scrapped knees with the inside of a banana peel will help promote healing.
2. Wart Curative: Got a wart? Rub it with the inside of a banana peel. The potassium-rich peel is supposed to get rid of the wart.
And the weirdest thing people are making out of bananas....
1. Teeth whitener: Liam McGinlay says he’s been using the inside of banana peels on a daily basis to whiten his teeth for the past two years. He rubs the peels in a circular motion across his teeth for about 2 minutes. He says the effects should be seen in as little as 2 weeks.