These are by no means an original idea. I saw them on all sorts of websites when shopping for unique Christmas gifts. However, $20-45 for six or eight coasters seems like a bit much. For the same investment [for the hole saw], you can make these guys by the thousands, and by picking out your own LPs, you can select from the choicest of colors and label designs.
And while you're feeling LP-tastic, check this out!
12” vinyl albums (raid the 25¢ bin!)
Electric drill or drill press
Bi-Metal Hole Saw (I already had a 4 1/4” saw, but if you’re buying new, go for a 4 1/2”)
Scrap wood: a large flat piece (I used an old fiberboard shelf) and two thinner strips (1x2”)
C-clamps, or short bar clamps
150-220 grit sandpaper
Spray Polyurethane or Acrylic finish
Stable work surface
Safety glasses, work gloves, and dust mask (this stuff HAS to be bad for you)
1. Select your albums. Listen first, if you please, to make sure they’re worth destroying
2. If using a smaller drill press, cut the top third of the album.
4. Place record on scrap wood, and firmly secure the album with the 1x2”s, clamping them as close as possible to the label.
6. Peel away extra vinyl, and sand the edges to smoothness, staying clear of the paper label.
8. Apply a delicious, natural beverage, and enjoy.