Last week, I wrote about some of our inspiration and preparation for our daughter's Rapunzel-themed birthday party. To recap, we wanted to give our four-year-old the party of her dreams without purchasing everything from a princess party pack. So, we enlisted the help of Pinterest and our Silhouette Cameo cutting machine and made it magical. Read on to see what we… Continue Reading
Anyone interested in art, design, or crafts has likely developed their scissors skills into a science. You know exactly where to start a cut, how to keep it straight, when to bring it down to nail that curve...
And still, it's never quite perfect. There's those little jaggedy edges from where the cut stop and started again, curves that become a series of straight lines rather than a fluid motion, and then that cursed guideline that will never completely erase. Sometimes, that's the look you're going for - handmade, crafty, perhaps even a bit juvenile.
But sometimes, it's not. This is where the Silhouette SD comes in. It's a digital craft cutting machine that allows you to customize and design a variety of different products; be it from home decor, or custom made fabrics and apparel, to paper crafting. Some of the machine’s features include:
• No need for cartridges
• Any font found on your computer can be cut (right out of the box)
• Ability to create your own shapes either from clipart or with drawing tools
• Ability to select shapes/images from an online store (somewhat similar to i-Tunes) and purchase one-by-one for as little as $0.99 per image
• Will cut as long as you would like at one time
• A new heat transfer line for apparel and home fabrics
• Print and cut functionality-ability to print whatever you want to a computer and then place the print job in the machine… Continue Reading
From TimeOut New York, these lively framed paper silhouette in series interact with each other and the wall. A perfect use for a collection of thrifted frames (paint 'em black), and a great way to honor your friends that hate to be photographed, just print 'em, trace 'em, cut and frame!
• Old photographs or a camera and printer to make new ones
• Black construction paper
• An assortment of picture frames
Paper schmaper...all the cool kids are doing it in foliage.
Artist Jenny Lee Fowler creates custom silhouettes from your preferred leaf species: "You provide a profile portrait taken from about four feet away of the head and shoulders. We talk about what sort of leaf you might like, and I send you a delightful silhouette hand cut from a leaf with stem intact, pressed and mounted on museum board with archival adhesive… Continue Reading
I remember when I was four or five, and this old lady with a crazy haircut came to out house to draw my silhouette. I had to sit still for-ever... and she made my eyelashes way too long. Hanging on the wall at my grandma's house, always reckoned them sort of tacky, but this contemporary, DIY take from Stu and Janet could go in my house anyday.
- Good side profile photo
- Scissors or Xacto Knife
- Tracing Paper
- Glue… Continue Reading