Ask a Question Wallpaper and Lead Paint

Wallpaper and Lead Paint

Subscribe to Wallpaper and Lead Paint Tags: Painting, wallpaper, lead paint, old house

Picture?type=square followingwords 2 Posts My husband and I are in the middle of purchasing an old house, one that was built around 1890. As such, it will almost certainly have lead paint. I've been scouring the internet and looking at message boards, home improvement sites, government websites, etc. But, I haven't come across a problem quite like what we have.

You see, the paint/wallpaper of the hallways in the house (front hallway that goes upstairs and then hallways on second floor) are flaking off. Obviously, with how old this house is, that's a serious problem. However, what makes this worse and something that I haven't quite been able to find an answer for despite my avid googling, is that the previous owner(s) of the house put paint over a previous wallpaper and then, knowingly or unknowingly, put wallpaper over that. So, we have unknown number of paint layers, wallpaper, paint layer(s), and more wallpaper.

I know from reading that two types of removal for just paint is wet sanding and chemical. However, I'm unsure if these will be possible considering the two layers of wallpaper. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this? And, before anyone says it, yes, we're very aware that you have a very high chance of having to hire someone to do this. However, we'd like to at least have a whack at it ourselves; I don't work and we have another few months left on our current apartment lease so time isn't an issue at all.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer. This site was really helpful when I was looking for information on how to remove lead paint. ^_^

PS: For anyone else dealing with lead paint, it took me several hours of googling but I found a lot of really good links about this (one of which specifically deals with how to remove lead paint from a historical residence; aka, how to remove paint without having to completely get rid of items like good trim and the like). I'll be posting those links in a comment to this post, so that others like me can use them without having to search for hours. >.<

Picture?type=square followingwords 2 Posts Historic housing:  http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/briefs/brief37.pdf

or Cancel

Ask a Question Wallpaper and Lead Paint