This year my band finally made a proper recording and when the time came to design packaging, I took charge of the project even though my experience is in web media, not print. The leading image of the final product looks like this:
And once on my wall, it looked like this:
To get from image A to image B, my friend and I simply took the original art, enlarged it with Genuine Fractals, cut it into nine pieces, and printed them on heavy paper with a high-quality Epson printer.
Next we used ordinary white glue to mount them on 12x12 particle boards from Lowe's. Finally, they were covered with Mod Podge and a thick textured brush.
Once complete, a routing tool was used to create holes in the back of each. To mount on the wall, the area was measured and two screws inserted for each panel. Each panel was then hung by their routing holes.