Something about mid-November stirs my holiday spirit and revs up my gift-list-making muscles. Stocking stuffers are my favorite gifts to buy; there's something magical about tiny, great things. As a child, waking up on Christmas morning was exciting because our house rules allowed for going through our stockings' contents without parents (I now realize this was a total ploy to buy my dear old parents another snoozy 45 minutes).
Everything in my childhood stocking felt like a treasure, and maybe that's the way it should be. Below is a list of the treasures I found this year. I followed three simple rules while putting this collection together:
1. Everything must fit into a stocking.
2. Everything must be under $20.
3. Everything must be lovely (and if not lovely, then clever!).
The lists are divided into the following categories:
Enjoy them, and share your favorite things in the comments section. Happy shopping!
1. Archipelago Botanicals Milk Soap. This is the best soap in the world. The scent is clean and gentle, and the contents of the soap (milk + soy) is just what winter skin needs.
2. Swimming Hole Ring Dish. This sweet little dish, with its gorgeous giraffe is the perfect place to store your rings, earrings, and bracelets, when you aren't wearing them.
3. Mini Cashmere Hand Warmer. These lovely hand warmers are my favorite stocking stuffer. The are beautiful and so soft. A must-have for anyone who lives in a place where cold hands are part of the forecast.
4. Embossed Metal Wallet. Vintage-inspired, compact, and big enough to hold all the cards you'll need. I've had one for years and love throwing it in a clutch for a fancy night out. This wallet comes in silver and gold.
5. Poppy Blossom Hair Pin. This chiffon hair pin will add a little bit of lovely to any 'do.
6. Vintage Handkerchief. A soft cotton hanky, with stunning details will make any winter nose happy.
7. Embroidered Classics. Her favorite stories with a touch of embroidery.
8. Scalloped Ornament. This beauty can hang on the tree Christmas morning, and mark the pages in your favorite book when the holidays are over.
9. Wood and Resin Box. She can store special momentos in this sweet receptacle.
1. Eames Matches Notebook. The perfect place to store bright ideas.
2. Mid-Century Glasses Case. If the guy in your life sports specs, this wool-blend case will keep them protected.
3. Whiskey Stones. These soapstone cubes will chill his drink without watering it down (and they're reusable).
4. Eames Chair Coasters. He can rest that whiskey on a sleek Eames chair coaster.
5. Pocket Hand Warmers. The slightly more rugged brother of my favorite cashmere hand warmers. Each set contains two chrome-plated warmers.
6. Pocket Ref. This little pocket book covers everything from carpentry to geology.
7. Caswell-Massey Cologne Sampler. This set include 5 samples of the company's most popular colognes. Several of which were the signature scents of the likes of John F. Kennedy, George Washington, and Cole Porter.
8. Bacon Candy Canes. I absolutely admit that it's strange to include presidential colognes and bacon flavored candy canes in the same list. But, these are bacon flavored candy canes! Leaving them off this list would be completely inappropriate.
9. Handkerchief Map. These microfiber waterproof maps are easy to read and easy to slip into your pocket. A variety of US cities are mapped out on these clever little handkerchiefs.
1. Sun Art Paper. Art and Science come together to make beautiful graphic art.
2. Modern Santa Mug. The kiddos can enjoy hot cocoa with Santa all winter long.
3. Charley Harper Memory Game. Matchmaking at its finest!
4. DIY Yoyo Kit. Budding DIYers can create their very own retro yoyo complete with a custom paint job.
5. Organza Headband. A little frill for your little girl.
6. Superhero Lightening Bolts for Sneakers. These golden bolts are sure to give your little one super powers.
7. NYC in a Bag. This bag included 8 classic NYC icons and six cars to create some good ol' fashion city traffic. All parts are made from sustainable wood.
8. Snow Globe Ring. All kids love a blizzard. Fortunately this one is confined to their finger.
9. Animal Coin Purse. Felted animal pouches with a cotton liner. The perfect place to store lucky pennies.
10. Owl Hand Warmers. Little hands stay warm with these knit warmers (with rechargeable metal inserts).
11. Red and White Striped Paper Straws. These straws add a festive touch to every cup of cider.
Whew! You made it to the end of the list. Now, get shopping!
Or, if you're looking for even more stocking stuffer ideas, check out my gift guide from last year!
You want cool, thoughtful gift ideas for everyone in your life? We've got 'em. Check out our 2011 Holiday Gift Guide series for unique ideas that'll show anyone you're thinking of them.